Selecting and customizing menus
Menu Settings in WPtouch Pro 4
The menu settings in WPtouch Pro 4 are handled in the WordPress Appearance > Menus settings. Click the "Go to Menu Settings" button from the Menu Settings section in WPtouch Pro or access the settings directly via Appearance > Menus.
You may create a new menu or assign an existing one to WPtouch Pro by selecting the location in Menu Settings > Theme locations.
Menu Icon Sets
Menu Settings in WPtouch Pro 3
WPtouch Pro allows extensive customization of the menus used in your mobile theme. Each mobile theme comes with its own set of menu options and styles. You may further customize each default menu with the options provided or with custom CSS. Menu options are not shared across themes.
Using a Custom WordPress Menu
With a custom menu you have full control of the items that appear in the menu of your mobile theme. Your menu can include posts, pages, categories, or custom URLs and display them in any order you like, including nesting menu items.
- Create and name a custom WordPress menu in Appearance > Menus. (Additional information is available in the WordPress.org codex: http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Menu_User_Guide).
- To use your custom WordPress menu in WPtouch Pro, go to Menus > Theme Menus and select your new custom menu for your primary or secondary mobile menu (if your active mobile theme offers multiple menus).
- Save your changes.
Theme Menu Options
Choose a Menu
To offer a set of menu items that is unique to your mobile theme, you may create a WordPress menu exclusively for this purpose. A WordPress menu that is not specifically called by your desktop theme will not be displayed to desktop browsers. This means your custom mobile menu will remain available to mobile devices only.
Some themes offer additional options such as multiple menus, a home page menu, or different menu styling. "Enable parent items as links" allows you to enable or disable the active link on a menu item that has sub-items assigned. [tag][/tag] "Use menu icons" allows you to remove all icons from your menu items leaving only plain text for each item.
To customize the icons used in your mobile theme's menu, you may choose to use the icon sets available through the WPtouch Pro admin panel or upload custom icons. The Menu Setup admin panel displays the active menu(s) for your mobile theme on the left and the active icon set on the right. Active menus may be managed in the "Theme Menus" section. Active icon sets may be managed in the "Icon Upload & Sets" section. To exclude an item from the active menu, disable it via the "Show/Hide" checkboxes.
To associate icons with menu items, drag the icon to the desired menu item then save your settings.
The icon tools at the bottom of the left panel allow you to:
- Change the default icon for all your non-customized icons at once. Once changed, the icon setting will remain as the new default. To revert the new default icon to its original setting, the WPtouch Pro settings must be reset.
- Reset any individual icon to the default icon.
Icon Upload & Sets
WPtouch Pro allows you to manage as many icons and sets of icons for use in your mobile theme as you like. You may choose from the selection of default icons sets made available through WPtouch Pro or upload your own custom icons.
The Icon Upload tool allows you to add custom icons to be used in your WPtouch Pro mobile theme menu(s). Icons must be in .png, .jpg, or .gif format and will be automatically resized for display.
Individual icon files that have been uploaded will appear in the "Uploaded Icons" area. Uploaded files are saved to your server. The specific location on your server will depend upon whether you have a single site WordPress installation or a WordPress network:
- If you have a single WordPress installation, your icons will be saved in the directory located at /wp-content/wptouch-data/icons/custom/.
- If you have a WordPress network installation, your icons will be saved in the directory located at /wp-content/wptouch-data/YOUR_SUBSITE_ID/icons/custom/.
- If you have a single WordPress installation, create your new directory inside /wp-content/wptouch-data/icons/.
- If you have a WordPress network installation, create your new directory inside /wp-content/wptouch-data/YOUR_SUBSITE_ID/icons/.
Name: My Icon Set #1 Author: Me Description: My custom icons designed by me. Background: LightWhen successfully created, your custom icon set will be listed in the "Icon Sets" area of WPtouch Pro.